Okro soup is a simple but very delicious soup that goes with just about any swallow. Lots and lots of orishirishi can be used to make this dish so rich like fresh shrimps,catfish,smoked or fresh mackerel fish, stock fish and any meat of choice. This is the basic foundation of this soup.
• 2 cups of chopped or grated okro
• 1/2 kilo meat of choice
• 1 handful of chopped pumpkin leaves(ugwu)
• 1/2 a cup of palm oil
• 1 tablespoon of grinded cray fish
• Pepper to taste
• Seasoning cubes
• 1 tablespoon of iru( optional)
• Salt to taste
• 1 medium onion
• Blend the pepper, slice the onion and wash the vegetable leaves and place in a strainer to drain.
• Wash the meat and cook with cray fish, pepper, iru, seasoning cubes and onion. cook with just about enough water as we don’t want too much stock to avoid getting a watery soup.
• When the meat is tender, add the oil and salt to taste then let it cook for a few minutes.
• Add the okro and vegetable leaves, stir,reduce the heat then let it simmer for 5 minutes and its ready. Serve with swallow of your choice.